If you want to get good rankings on Google and the other search engines then the first step is to make sure that your website is being picked up. We’ll give you 5 simple checks you can carry out to make sure your website is being indexed by Google.
- Robots.txt file – The first check you need to make is to head to your robots.txt file and check if the website is blocking all web crawlers with a line of code similar to: User-agent: *Disallow: /
- Robots meta tag – Another thing to check is that your pages can be indexed and that they don’t contain a robots noindex or nofollow meta tag.
- Sitemap – Make sure you have a valid xml sitemap file and that all of the URLs work.
- Google Search Console – Register your site with Google Search Console and check for any indexation problems
- Mobile-friendly – Google is now using the mobile version of a website for indexing which means that if your website isn’t mobile friendly then it might not be showing up in searches.