There are several steps when picking SEO keywords for your business. And, while the end result is very different depending on your sector or niche, the process is largely the same and follows the steps below.
- Identify the goals of your website, is it informational, can customers purchase directly from it, do you want to promote your local shop?
- Think of what your customers are looking for, is your product or service well-known, or do customers need to be educated about it.
- Do some keyword research using tools such as Google Ads Keyword Planner or Ubersuggest.
- Pick a range of head and long-tail keywords with head keywords being shorter and generally more competitive terms than their longer-tail variants.
- Check out the competition, once you’ve got your target keywords then you need to check to see what the first page rankings are like for your keywords, if the front page is full of big name brands then you may want to check other phrase variants.
- Match keywords to your content. Your content theme needs to match the keywords you are targeting and for best results choose keywords that closely match the topics and content on your website.